Put together your to-do list for the next 60 days.
By Ken Thoreson
September 23, 2013
Ken, are you crazy? I have not finished the fourth quarter yet! But as budget planning starts and business strategies begin to be set, it is your responsibility to be ready for 2014. What do you need to have on your to-do list for the next 60 days? I have listed the top 10; let me know what I have missed or what is on your list.
1. What are your revenue objectives by each quarter for 2014?
2. Review your existing teams carefully; analyze each person’s strengths and weaknesses; and rank the following on a scale of 1–5, (5=great). Are they good enough to stay on your team for 2014?
a. Sales skills
b. Product/industry knowledge
c. Operational knowledge
d. Sales planning
3. How many new people do you need to recruit? When do you need them fully up and trained? Hint: Hire them NOW.
4. Review your marketing/sales operational teams. Do they really understand your market, your customers, and the benefits you bring to them? What do you need to do to improve their business knowledge?
5. Is your compensation plan effective? Did it achieve the results you wanted? Have your business objectives changed, and therefore your 2014 compensation plans may need to be altered? (Take our sales compensation assessment on our website.
6. Reassess your CRM/Sales Metric Dashboards for the entire year. What trends can you find or what activities need to be enhanced? Hold an individual salesperson review meeting to assess performance.
7. What will be your “theme” for 2014? Define the top three objectives that you need to focus on during each of the 1st and 2nd quarters.
8. Schedule a “personal self-assessment” meeting, either with your manager or your peer team, or even perform a confidential 360 analysis by using your sales team to comment on what you are doing well and what needs to be improved.
9. What new elements within your sales training plans for 2014 do you need to plan for? Outside training? A book club? More role playing? What do you need to do to improve the professionalism of your team?
10. When is your 2014 Sales Kick-Off Meeting? Where will it be held? What will you announce and how will you energize your team with vision, fun, and direction?