Carbonite’s new offering delivers hot database and system state backup with built-in cloud storage.
July 26, 2013
Carbonite Inc., a Boston-based provider of cloud backup solutions for small businesses and consumers, has introduced Enhanced Server Backup for both local and cloud backup. With this new addition to Carbonite’s offerings, the company now furnishes a seamless backup experience across all platforms, ranging from PCs, Macs, mobile devices, and now databases, including Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange Server, MySQL, Oracle, and SharePoint.
Enhanced Server Backup can back up the Windows System State, including Active Directory, system volume, certificate server, boot files, Internet Information Services (IIS), and registry. This means a server can be restored in its entirety, with no need to reconfigure the operating system or reload applications. This capability is similar to bare metal disk imaging and also offers the advantages of a file-based backup solution, according to the company.
Based on the available bandwidth and system resources, the backup rates of Enhanced Server Backup may reach speeds in excess of 1 gigabit per second. All data is uploaded to the cloud using an SSL connection. For complete data privacy and regulatory compliance, businesses can use AES-256 encryption for both local and cloud storage with private keys. There are no limits to the number of computers or databases that can share one subscription.
Carbonite’s Enhanced Server Backup is built on the open source Amanda platform, which has an estimated installed base of more than one million computers. Enhanced Server Backup offers:
- “Hot backup” technology to take frequent snapshots of live databases without slowing down response time for users
- Real-time reporting across backup sets for performance tuning and regulatory compliance
- Active notifications via email or a Windows event log and usage reports across multiple systems via the dashboard
- The ability to run on both Windows and Hyper-V
- Unlimited backup sets to both cloud and local devices, providing an extra layer of redundancy
Enhanced Server Backup also offers a range of configuration settings:
- Set incremental or differential backups reducing the time and size of future backups
- Manage data transfer compression rate
- Manage the retention period of a backup
- Manage bandwidth allocated to backups
- Run backups manually or on a set schedule that is right for the business
Enhanced Server Backup includes free Valet Installation, including configuration and testing for an unlimited number of backup sets. With the release of Carbonite Enhanced Server Backup, small businesses can now back up their servers, databases and an unlimited number of computers for $999.99 per year, including 500GB of cloud storage. Existing Carbonite BusinessPremier subscribers may add Enhanced Server Backup for $399.99. Additional managed services can be purchased for a per-use fee.
Learn more about Carbonite Enhanced Server Backup at http://www.carbonite.com/online-backup/business/enhanced-server-backup .