The first of their kind, the storage systems deliver up to 180 TBs in 4U of rack space.
May 09, 2011
Nexsan, a disk-based storage provider, is now offering the Nexsan E-Series storage systems with 3 TB SATA drives. According to the company, these are the first of their kind, delivering 180 TBs in 4U of rack space. The E60X expansion chassis can be added to the E60 to house up to 60 more 3T B drives for a total of 360 TBs in 8U of rack space. AutoMAID level 4, Nexsan’s power management technology, ensures that applications have up to 85 percent power savings.
Nexsan is also offering 1, 2, and 3 TB SATA drives with its E18 storage system (previously only available with SSD and SAS drives). The flexible configuration is designed for customers who do not need the capacity of the E60, but want the higher performance storage controllers. The E18 can also be expanded with an additional 60 drives with the E60 expansion chassis. Both the E18 and the E60 can mix and match SSD, SATA, and SAS drives. Both systems are also VMware Ready Certified, and can step up from the built-in 1 Gb iSCSI ports with an optional dual port 10 Gb iSCSI card.
All Nexsan E-Series storage systems offer centralized storage management software and system redundancy. By integrating Nexsan storage hardware and E-Series intelligence, the Nexsan E-Series is a quick out-of-the-box experience.
The E-Series features and enhancements include:
- Performance: The next-generation storage controller in the Nexsan E-Series delivers 2.3 to 2.5 times the performance for sequential 1KB reads and writes compared to the previous-generation controller used in the SATABeast and SASBeast storage systems, and 1.3 to 1.4 times the performance for random 1KB reads and writes.
- Storage Density: Nexsan E-Series 3 TB SATA drive compatibility offers storage density of 54TB in 2U with the E18, and 180TB in 4U with the E60. Each storage system can be expanded with the E60X which delivers up to 180TBs in just 4U. This storage density is ideal for digital video storage, scientific data, archive storage,and consolidated storage environments where large capacities, density, and power efficiency are highly valued.
- Mix and Match Drive Types: The Nexsan E-Series allows the customer to mix and match RAID types and drive types to meet varying storage requirements. RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, and 6 are supported in hardware, and a variety of SSD, SAS, and SATA drives are available.
- VMware Ready Certified: The E- Series has now been VMware certified for use in virtualized environments running ESX 4.0, ESX 4.0 U1, ESX 4.0 U2, ESX 4.1, and ESX 4.1 U1.
- Active Drawer Technology – This approach to extreme density simplifies the maintenance of a high density storage system with easy-to-open drawers, which eliminate heavy lifting and keep the drives active when the drawer is opened for adding or removing drives or replacing fans.
- AutoMAID Technology – Nexsan’s new AutoMAID level 4 technology delivers power management for up to 85 percent reduction in energy consumption without performance compromise for applications, such as digital video storage and backup to disk.
- Cool Drive Technology - E-Series high density systems are specially designed for uniform airflow that ensures optimal thermal operation. The hot-swappable fans in the front and rear of the active drawers allow proper push/pull airflow.
- Anti-Vibration Technology - The E-Series increases reliability with an industry-leading anti-vibration chassis design and with a unique method of mounting hard drives in back-to-back pairs.
The new storage systems are available immediately. The E18 with SAS drives a single controller starts at under $43K, and the E60 with SATA drives and a single controller starts at under $49K. Pricing for the E60 with the 3TB SATA drives and a single controller starts at under $80K.